Special Olympics Broward County recently hosted its 2012 annual awards ceremony recognizing all of the athletes, sponsors, volunteers and friends that have helped the organization continue its effort to provide FREE services to approximately 800 athletes each year.
This year’s honorees include:
• Honorary Board Member Of The Year Award: Gale Butler and Richard W. Meli
• Media Organization of the Year Award: The Current
• Timothy Gillette Law Enforcement Torch Run Award: Kathleen Hanks
• Ivy McMahon Inspirational Athlete Leadership Award: Kerri Leonardo
• Youth Volunteer Of The Year Award: Meredith Adams of University School of NSU
• Coach Of The Year Award: Joe Brill
• Family Of The Year Award: Lykes Family
• Melvin & Phyllis Zarefsky Volunteer Of The Year Award: Sue Brill
• The Don Taft Athlete of the Year: Jennifer Brill
• The Pinion, Inc. Local Organization Of The Year Award: NSU
• Special Olympics Broward County Hall Of Fame Induction: Paul Sallarulo
The awards ceremony was hosted at NSU, which is home to the Special Olympics Broward County chapter, the only chapter in the nation to be housed at a private university.
Through successful sports training and competition, Special Olympics athletes develop physically, socially, and psychologically. The positive experiences the athletes have in ongoing Special Olympics programs builds confidence and self-image, which permeates all aspects of their lives.
For more information, please visit www.specialolympicsbroward.org or call 954-262-2150.